Saturday, January 8, 2011

Maryl writes: The Kids Grow Up All Right


I recently saw a touching film, “The Kids Grow Up” not to be confused with “The Kids Are All Right” although there is a comparison to be made between the two.  Hard to believe since the first one is a personal documentary by NYC filmmaker Doug Block who lives with his wife and child in an apartment and the latter a Hollywood film starring two academy award winning actresses playing two moms in a suburban household in California.  The stories overlap when their daughters go away to college.  Although it was a bigger part of the NY story, the void left by their leaving had a similar impact on both families.  The NY father is distraught and keeps asking his friends how they dealt with their children leaving home.  The two moms are already having a family crisis of which this becomes a subset.  


And that brings me to my husband and my current empty-nest status.  I’ve heard of parents who have closed the bedroom door to their child’s room, have slept in their child’s bed or who have simply gone into a deep depression.  Me?  I think I’m all right.…. surprisingly.  I miss my baby girl tremendously – mostly I miss her preteen years.  I don’t miss her high school senior year supporting her getting into college (That’s another post for another time.)  I now have the time to be able to dig into various passions and challenges long sparking my mind but unable to focus on (yet another post).  Yeah, it’s a bit self centered but why not?  All in all, this mom (and dad) are all right....and growing too!

In a similar situation? Comments? You may also want to:
1) View the two films. “The Kids Grow Up” has already played 
    the film festivals circuit and in a few cities with some more 
    screening over the next two months. Netflix and DVD 
    availability unknown. You can check out the web site for more 
    information. "The Kids Are All Right" is available on demand 
    on cable and on DVD. 
2) Read a book on the subject. There’s a good selection of titles 
    at Amazon. 
3) Create or join a support group with parents from your child’s 
    former high school or current college. You’re not the only one 
    feeling this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment