Thursday, September 27, 2012

Everyday Eva: 9 Professional Makeup Tips To Look Younger

There’s a reason actors and models and Martha Stewart look so good. They know how—or have someone else who does—to put on their makeup. For many years, Eva Scrivo did the hair and make up for Martha’s TV show and public appearances. “I made a 70 year old woman look 45,” Eva says. 

Eva often does headshots for her clients—the hair, the makeup, even the lighting and photographs. Some use the photos for their CV, publicity and even dating sites. Maryl watched as she did Caryl’s makeup and took notes. Most of us have a simple and basic approach to our makeup routine. What if you had the time and skills to do it the ways the pros do for those special occasions like a night at the opera, your nephew’s wedding, a business dinner celebrating your promotion, that milestone class reunion? Think of this as the AP course to makeup application. Here are Eva’s step-by-step tips on how to look your best feature-by-feature: skin, eyes, lips, et al.



All of Eva’s unique approach to beauty are available in her book, Eva Scrivo on Beauty

Tomorrow: Everyday Eva will sum up her beauty advice with her 5 Golden (and Easy) Rules To Look Younger. Don't miss it.  (And, Caryl says: Gratefully, no more pictures of me!)

And, if we hit 300 "likes" (and even if we don't), this weekend we'll post the Grand Finale of the Second Lives Club first beauty series.  See what Eva has to say about the hair and makeup of such well-known faces as Meryl Streep, Jane Fonda and Diana Sawyer and a few women you'll be surprised to see.

8 comments:

  1. Would love some tips on how to look better for videochats. I feel like I'm going to scare my children every time we get on google hangout!

    I have a feeling that its mostly in the lighting, though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good suggestion. My guess--and I am sure you can tell that I know little about this subject-- is that mascara and lipstick is a must. Probably a good idea to comb your hair. And smile, like you're glad to see them even if you can't. Maryl can probably address lighting from her video producing days. But remember those old makeup mirrors with the lights all around them that shifted from day to evening to indoor or outdoors. If you still have one, I'd recommend putting on your makeup in front of that mirror and adjust it to the right light for your video chats.

      Delete
    2. I have to admit that every time I hit the Photo Booth (video chat) program by mistake, it's a shock to see my face staring back at me! I have worked with some of the best lighting directors in the past and lighting can solve a multitude of problems. (My friend Immy Fiorentino was hired after Nixon's disastrous "sweaty" debate with Kennedy back in the '60's to make him look better. Just think if we hade that kind of face to work with!) But the problems with looking good on video chat begin with the low quality camera in your laptop and the angle one typically sits at while chatting. I found these helpful tips on Mashable, http://mashable.com/2012/07/27/look-good-on-video/, but how much trouble do you want to go to look better each time? Let us know what ultimately works for you Judith. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Excellent advice! One challenge I have is managing eye makeup intensity now that I've given up on contact lenses and wear glasses 100% of the time...being nearsighted means the glasses make my eyes extra small, and if I wear colored shadow, it makes my eyes disappear altogether. If anyone has recommendations, I'd love to hear tips and tricks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've probably seen a number of eye makeup demos online for glasses wearers. Here's one even though the model is a 20-something, http://www.michellephan.com/post/beauty-tutorial-class-with-glass-makeup-for-glasses-2012. Lately, I've been wearing my glasses more than my contacts because I think I look better in them. They may diminish the impact of your eye makeup but they also help to conceal some of the tired and aging flaws around my eyes. I think I look younger with them and may just apply a bit of under eye concealer and mascara. That could be just me. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  3. That was cool! But I must say, every time I allow a makeup artist at a department store do my face - and it's usually Dior or Chanel - I can't stand when they put on foundation.

    I realize it evens skin tone, but it never, never looks natural - at least to me. I would rather have my imperfections show than resemble any (Sur)Real Housewife on either coast!

    Any suggestions? (I suspect I'm in a severe hair and makeup rut, though at least I like the color of my hair, if not the cut... the makeup? Insert uncertain shrug ________.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, I never like the way foundation has looked on me and I don't usually like the way it feels either. I'm willing to experiment after all this good info from Eva. I'm thinking of trying a tinted SPF moisturizer and going with the foundation as my concealer only. I also just learned about the benefit of using a glimmer (not a frosted shade) on a demo Eva did for a Martha Stewart program, http://www.marthastewart.com/248524/makeup-eva-scrivo. I'm going to try that also.

      Delete
    2. BTW, I meant to say shimmer and not glimmer above. I also just looked at a demo where the model applied her foundation with a fluffy brush. Don't know but it seemed to go on lighter and faster.

      Delete