Thursday, October 11, 2012

Maryl's got: Seven Easy Fashion To Do’s for Fall


What’s new and fresh this fall? I’ve got it….seven easy ways to be in style right now. The temperature reached 80 degrees here this past week, and I'm heading off on a Caribbean cruise next week.  So I admit I haven't pulled out my fall clothes yet but I have checked the fashion web sites, magazines and shops for this season’s trends. Here's the seven to do’s I plan to consider that will easily incorporate into anyone’s wardrobe: 


           1) Do anything in BURGUNDY 
           2) Do anything in LEATHER 
           3) Do PANTSUITS, they’re back 
           4) Don separates in PRINTS and PATTERNS 
           5) Do COATS in COLORS 
           6) Do METAL TOE SHOES, they’re a kick 
           7) Do DOCTOR’S BAGS, they’re easy to handle



BURGUNDY 
...is the new black so they say. (Last year it was teal.) As nature starts to change its wardrobe and hues so should we. I’ve seen burgundy repeatedly as an entire outfit, a single separate or an accessory. It’s a dark color that can be rich and alluring at the same time. 
Burgundy, a.k.a. Wine, Oxblood, Merlot, Cabernet



LEATHER 

...is everywhere and not just for skirts but also tops, pants and dresses as well. If the thought of wearing that much leather seems uncomfortable and unnatural, try some of the pieces that incorporate leather inserts with another fabric like wool or a synthetic. Leather leggings are way over the top for me but what about elbow length gloves in leather? They can look bold and brave with a sleeveless or short sleeve dress or top or an elbow length coat or jacket yet comfortable and luxurious at the same time. Just do it! 



Alexander Wang, H&M, L'Agence, Eli Tahari, DVF















PANTSUITS

Prada’s patterned pantsuits really caught my eye this fall but they’re not exactly an easy ensemble for most to pull off or for that matter to  afford. But the pantsuit in general seems to be making a comeback. (Hillary Clinton takes a lot of heat for her pant suits.  Maybe not so much now.) A solid, tweed or textured version is easier to wear and accessorize and looks so smart. 


Prada
Saab                              Lauren                             Chanel

Experiment with a pattern by just trying the pants first with a solid top and see how that feels. 





PATTERNS & PRINTS

Speaking of patterns, consider dresses, tops and bottoms together because sometimes the dresses look like separates and vice versa. Some of that has to do with the continuation of color blocking as a design element. But this year we need to consider fabric as its own trend. They can be this small to medium repetitive pattern (see above) or the newly popular brocade. There’s also a jacguard, ikat type weave that gives separates a renewed look. 
ISSA, Marni, Cynthia Rowley brocade, Thakoon ikat, Carven, Chaus

Large scale and photo transfer graphic PRINTS are distinguishing some dresses in a more original way too. Try it first in a top or bottom for those not ready to make that big a statement. And there’s a new focus on velvet also, printed and solid. 


DKNY, Tory Burch, Proenza Schouler, H&M, Ted Baker, McQueen velvet, Preen 


COLORFUL COATS

Last year I coveted an orange winter coat by Burberry because it seemed so edgy yet wearable. This year there’s an array of wool (and dyed fur) coats in bright colors. 


Karen Millen, Jil Sander, Burberry, Old Navy, Opening Ceremony


METAL TOED SHOES

Tall leather boots and slipper loafers are still on the runway but here’s something really fresh that will demand attention: metal-toed shoes in either heels or flats. They are easy to wear and can work for any occasion.  Why not kick up your toes as well as your heels this fall? 


(Top) Dolce Vita, Chic Nova, Sigerson Morrison (2); (Bottom) Stuart Weitzman, YSL, Dolce Vita, YSL


DOCTOR’S BAG

Accessories remain the easiest way to freshen up a wardrobe and I’m going with a new shape this fall: the doctor's bag. Prada introduced this style last year and I wasn’t sure how I felt about carrying my bag in my hand or on my arm instead of my shoulder. I’ve warmed up to it and just purchased a Kate Moss design for Longchamp. Mixed color handbags offer another novel way to be ahead of the fashion cycle. 


(Top) Z Spoke, Prada, ASOS, (Bottom) Phillip Lim, The Limited, W Double U

Remember to shop your closets first before shopping the stores and that updating accessories is always the easiest way to look au courant.  The temperature just dropped to 55 degrees last night. Look what I already found in my closet:  three trends in one - pantsuit, burgundy, velvet.  



Theory

5 comments:

  1. just started reading your blog and I love this post. All things I've been thinking about and not been able to actual visualize or verbalize. A real shopping list is now on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help. I'm starting out today with my list. Thanks and happy shopping.

      Delete
    2. Great ideas - I'll be shopping today , too - Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Great round-up. And Hillary too - hoorah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maryl: I lust after that sleek, simple, knit burgundy dress. Wonder if I could still get away with it, or if I'd look ridiculous?

    ReplyDelete