Saturday, February 11, 2012

Maryl and Caryl wonder: Why Can't We Get Anything Done?


Is this you too? Bouncing from one task to another until the day is done and very little if anything has been accomplished? You start one project and then another one catches your attention (that might be easier or less tedious), so you move to that one and the whole sequence just keeps repeating itself. This behavior can be even more pronounced if you work at home or by yourself.

Not to worry. Age-Activated Attention Deficit Disorder or AAADD is not a real disease but just a typical practice among people in all phases of life. Here’s seven basic tips to keep us on course. They’re from career management trainer and author Yun Siang Long. (His article on the subject provides more instruction.)

1. Practice Time Management at Work
2. Get the Small Tasks Out of the Way
3. Take Short Breaks
4. Start Early
5. Prevent Procrastination: Do it Now
6. Stop the Pantry Chats and Cigarette Break Banter
7. Improve Your Productivity: Attack the Hate to Do List

Maryl favors Rules #2 and 4: If I get up early, like 6am, check off a few of the simpler tasks on my to-do list right away, I’m on a roll then for the rest of the morning at least. And don’t let other’s to-dos creep onto your list. Your family can run their own errands.

Caryl makes her own rules: I promise myself a treat - like reading fiction for an hour - if I’ve tackled a critical task. I’m still learning not to give myself the reward first though. And I’ll have more for you…..once I find my keys and glasses and maybe pay a few bills or not.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Carrie. You so would forget everything. This is a great blog post. I love it! You guys are both so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is years since I have worked in an office environment so I have learnt to be fairly disciplined. Getting things done early really works for me if I don't the day can be very chaotic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicanyage,

      You are way ahead of me on the learning curve. I do find mornings are
      the time I have the most energy and am most productive. For those
      reasons, I like to write then. When do you do your writing (blogging)?

      Best,
      C

      Delete
  3. Here's my technique: Separate essentials from non-essentials, write these into a concise list, and follow it slavishly regardless of who gets ignored (unless it's a client). So, what I've done this morning is: quickly reviewed email aiming to handle correspondence prior to starting work, found an intriguing blog post, watched an entertaining video, and written a quick note regarding my technique for how not to do exactly what I'm doing now, enjoying non-essential activity. My 'technique' makes me think of that old carnival magician's line, "This trick is impossible, folks. That's why it doesn't work every time." K. Suys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi K. Suys,

      Your comment about the impossible trick made me laugh. But I do think
      dividing the essential and non-essential tasks into two physical lists
      might help me. I find if I have a concrete plan, I have a better chance
      of getting things done, returning to the place where I got distracted.
      One of the problems of a second life, however, is that recurring voice in my head that says: "Life's too short. Enjoy it now."

      Best,
      C

      Delete
  4. I have real, diagnosed-by-a-doctor ADHD so I've dealt with this all my life. It is never-ending, especially when one tries to follow the tips the experts prescribe. I have a variety of made-for-me techniques that I'm developing and refining as I go. For one, I allow myself twice the time I "should" need to complete a task, because I know I'll get distracted. My latest trick is that I set my timer for 20 minutes and each task is allotted that time and no more. When the buzzer rings, I move on to the next one. That seems to be helping with the distraction from boredom and/or frustration element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane,

      I am familiar with ADHD in children and adults so I know how difficult it
      can sometimes be for you. Do you find medication helps? Has the condition changed since you were a child? Or, have you just adapted better.

      I like the timer technique(except when it comes to
      writing). My problem is that I am a softie. I tend to got myself too much
      slack. Remember I am the one who enjoys the reward before the work.
      And, sometimes it even works.

      Thanks for stopping by again.

      Best,
      C

      Delete
  5. Sometimes the only thing I can do is to guilt myself into doing it. Because at the end of the day, if I acknowledge to myself whether or not I have failed to do something, it gets tired. Only I know if my excuses are real or imagined. So, sometimes I snack first (a no-no) and then act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guilt works for me. That's why I exercise so much and it requires less brain power!

      Delete