Friday, February 17, 2012

Maryl organizes: Her Closet and Her Mind

I did something about the clutter in my hallway closet. I took advantage of the January store promotions for container and shelving units and reorganized it. (Why January?....maybe something about stowing holiday decorations that prompts a redo of your whole storage space or about your renewed New Year’s resolutions?) I held out until the end of the month but then tired of stuff falling on me as I pulled out the vacuum cleaner. 


There was wasted space in this closet and after multiple trips back and forth to Target, Ikea and Bed Bath & Beyond (I guess all those promotions worked), I have six more shelves for overstocked groceries, bags and rags in their own receptacles, tools and mops within reach and the vacuum cleaner now slides out with ease. Martha Stewart Living or Real Simple won’t be doing a photo shoot here anytime soon but every time I walked by my closet this week I took a peek inside and smiled.

What is it about feeling organized that makes us better prepared to take on the world or at least our own chaotic agendas. I felt similar when I bought my first filing cabinet and even though my desk overflows with papers and post-it notes, they’re resorted into neat piles each morning before I sign in online. I know there’s a whole psychology behind being organized.   Psychology Today recently published a three-part series on the topic and if you’re the type that likes tips, there's a few here.   Uncluttered space means an uncluttered mind and a more simplified and efficient lifestyle. I suppose all that’s true but doing it just made me smile and for less than $75.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Maryl: Balance, color, line, you have a work of art!

    I organized my utility closet 10 years ago. It was also a thing of beauty, but it's now faded. Those handy hooks that were supposed to stay attached to the wall forever are unattached. The rags are tumbling off the shelf onto the floor, next to my iron that no longer has a proper space. Care to visit my house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgia, I felt it was artistic too. I went on to do my linen closet but I'm losing steam. It's true you must respect what you have organized and keep items in their proper place which can be challenging if you live with others like I do who may not get your organizational plan. I will not be going into closet consulting but for you I'd make an exception!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post, Mary! I found many of the same things in my own quest to get organized during the months of January. There's still so much that remains to be done, but having a taste of how it feels to be able to find things more easily, is encouragement to continue. Thanks too for linking to the Psychology Today series--I will have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, Glad this was helpful. I went on to do my linen closet too but think I'm done for a while. It's starting to get nice out and then we'll have the outdoors to straighten up!!

      Delete
  3. Maryl,
    Having survived an enormous home renovation, there was not one item that was touched or moved and during the process, it was a time to process and purge and ask myself if I loved it, needed it or the said item brought mr happiness.
    When we have a place for our things, we have more place in our life for living.
    Your closet looks great.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not as good with the purging though as I should be. You should see the attic in my shore house...not good. I can get reminiscent about an item and unable to part with it. Although Amy Gutman had a good recommendation..take a photo and then toss it. But I do like the idea that we should only keep what we have a place for....leaner closets, fuller lives!

      Delete